Your September Bee Healthy Tip from the trusted team at Metropolis Drugs II: from left: Tim Lawson, Dacia Stewart, Leslie Lawson and Lauren Scott.
Tips for Maintaining Good Posture Throughout Life
Developing healthy posture now is an important gift to give yourself. The benefits will last a lifetime!
These tips can help:
- Keep your weight down. Excess weight exerts a constant forward pull on the back muscles and stretches and weakens abdominal muscles.
- Avoid staying in one position for long periods. Inactivity causes muscle tension and weakness.
- Sleep on a firm mattress and use a pillow that is just big enough to maintain the normal cervical (neck) curve. Avoid using an oversized pillow or several pillows.
- Bend your knees when picking something up or putting it down. Carry a heavy object by using two hands and keeping the load close to your waist.
- Wear comfortable, supportive shoes. Avoid continuous use of high-heeled or platform shoes, which throw the back’s natural curves out of alignment.
- Walk with good posture. Keep your head erect with your chin parallel to the ground
and allow arms to swing naturally.
Nothing herein constitutes medical advice, diagnosis or treatment, or is a substitute for professional advice. You should always seek the advice of your physician or other medical professional if you have questions or concerns about a medical condition.
American Physical Therapy Association
1201 W. 10th St. 618-524-8400
Open Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
to help keep you and your family healthy!