Thursday-Sunday, Sept. 7-10, 2017
Annual Cache River Days
Don’t miss the 23rd Annual Cache River Days in Ullin. The festival celebrates the half-million acre Cache River Watershed with its forested hills and ancient cypress swamps, looks more like the deep South than Illinois.
Food, music, exhibits, and family activities in the Ullin ballpark are just part of the fun. Enjoy guided canoe tours through the Cache River Wetlands; resource staff will provide an intimate look at ancient bald cypress trees while experiencing the sights and sounds of one of the largest remaining wetland resources in Illinois.
Other events scheduled throughout the festival include a bounce blast inflatable, face painting, Bingo, balloon art, and 50/50 drawings.
- 6:00 p.m. Community Worship Service under the park pavilion
- 6:00 p.m. Beauty Pageant in Leona Brust Civic Center (old school gym). Royalty will be crowned in various age groups.
- Baby Contest throughout the weekend
- Spotlighting Night Hike. The evening hike will explore the dark woods of Limekiln Springs on Cypress Creek National Wildlife Refuge. Advanced registration required.
- 6:00 a.m. Welcome Tent opens until 4:00 p.m. where T-shirts and other items will be available.
- Flea markets, antique and craft sales, and food vendors will be open in the park until 5:00 p.m., as well as yard sales throughout the town.
- Canoe Tours offered throughout the day. Staff will provide three guided tours through Buttonland Swamp on a canoe trail that meanders through backwater sloughs to the state champion bald cypress tree. Limited space on each tour. Register by calling 6185-634-2231.
- Asian Carp Free Tasting. Learn the tricks of filleting and preparing Asian Carp and try a free sample. These fish present a negative impact on native fish.
- Cold-blooded Creatures of the Cache. Learn about Illinois snakes, lizards, frogs, toads and salamanders. See a variety of these species up close.
- Fish Print Bandanas. Create your own fish print bandana, fun for all ages.
- Wildlife Enforcement Trailer. Get information on hunting, fishing and other recreational activities.
- Duck I.D. Learn about waterfowl identification and hunting opportunities in the area.
- Cache Challenge. Take the Cache Challenge and win a collectible Cache River Wetlands Patch for youth under age 18.
- Helicopter rides
- 8:00 a.m. 5K Walk/Run. Packets can be picked up at 7:15 a.m. at the Welcome Tent.
- 8:00 a.m. Slow Pitch Softball Tournament at the ballpark
- 11:00 a.m. Parade starts at the Future Home Lighthouse Ministries and ends at Cache Valley Apartments. Trophies and awards will be given out at 11:45 at the Welcome Tent.
- 1:00 p.m. Birds of Prey Show with an up close and personal view of owls, hawks, and other bird species.
- 1:30 p.m. Cave Creek Glade Walk until 3:00 p.m. Enjoy the flora and fauna on the limestone hillside prairie along the trail as the guide points out the different plant species on your way to the top for a spectacular view of the Cache River basin. This scenic path is somewhat difficult.
- 1:00 p.m. Glory Road Travelers, music in the Park Pavilion
- 2:00 p.m. K&I Drifters, music in the Park Pavilion
- 3:00 p.m. David Isom, music in the Park Pavilion
- 3:00 p.m. Birds of Prey Show with an up close and personal view of owls, hawks, and other bird species.
- 12:30 p.m. Gospel Crusaders concert until 1:30 p.m.
For festival information, call 618-845-3445. Website