Get out your Lederhosen and enter the German/Bavarian Costume Contest. The two categories are Adult and Under-16. Prizes will be awarded to the top three in each category. Live music and bounce house are being planned.
Cost of a dinner plate is $10 which includes:
- Choice of meat Bratwurst, Schweinebraten (pork roast), Kalbsschnitzel (wiener schnitzel), or Hot Dogs
- Bratkartoffeln (sauted potatoes)
- Bavarian Sauerkraut
- Brötchen (German roll)
Ala Carte items include Brezel (pretzel) , Apfelstrudel (apple strudel) and Drinks
Forty percent of all sales go to the Metropolis Public Library Project Literacy Community Outreach Program. This program benefits house bound and home schooled children and adults. It also supports after school homework programs. The funds from this fundraiser will cover mileage, books, advertising, and other materials. Staff salary is paid by the City of Metropolis but there is so much more that they need to provide services to those who will benefit from them. This is not just a learning program but a social interaction as well for so many people.
Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 28-30, 2017
23rd Annual Barbecue on the River
11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Downtown Riverfront at Broadway, Paducah, Ky.
Can you think of a better way to spend an early fall weekend than enjoying great BBQ, lively entertainment, exquisite crafts, a charming downtown and a great time with 40,000 of your closest friends?
Come for three days of barbecue as 35 plus BBQ teams from Western Kentucky and beyond cook up over 80,000 pounds of pork and chicken in hopes of taking home the coveted Grand Champions trophy. Along with delicious mouth-watering food and fabulous fun you will be helping out many local charitable organization.
There will also be over 60 market day vendors, United Way 5K Run, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Performance and Photo Opportunity. For schedule of events and music line up, visit website.
Wednesday, Sept. 27
Downtown riverfront, Paducah, Ky.
This is a one-night event to kick off Barbecue on the River with musical entertainment. See listing below. General admission is $10 with reserved seating for $25. There will be a meal and reserved tables for 10 for $500. For more information, call 270-534-5951.
Wednesday, 27th – Porkstock
- 6:00 DJ AJ Martin spinning favorite party hits.
“My Old KY Home” sung by Leight July
- 7:00 Murr Vegas All Stars (Party Rock, Funk, & Soul)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00 John Fuller (Wide Variety of Americana)
- Emcee: Lew Jetton
- 5:00 Rolling River Royalty (Swampgrass Country Rock)
- 6:00 The Wheelhouse Rousters (Old Time River Music)
- 6:30 Chris Black & The Eagles of Unemployment (Rock and Roll)
- 7:30 The Wheelhouse Rousters
- 8:30 The Hooten Hallers (Pre-War Blues to Dark Americana)
- 9:30 The Wheelhouse Rousters
- 10:00 The Wheelers (Smart Post-Punk Rock and Roll)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00-10:00 Leight July (Folky,Americana, with some Blues)
- Emcee: Terry Reeves
- 5:00 The Savage Radley (Delta inspired indie rock)
- 6:30 Miranda Louise, Legendary Sweet Heart of the Blues
- 8:00 Lew Jetton & 61 South (Mississippi River Electric Blues)
- 9:30 The Cruisers ( A Mixture of Modern Pop, Classic Rock, & Blues)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00-10:00 Haleigh Martin (Acoustic Jazzy Country, with a little indie on the side
- Emcee: Mike Mallory
- 11:00 Soul Dog (Mixture of R&B & Soul)
- 12:15 Dusty Bottoms Band (Country,Classic Rock)
- 1:30 Mandy Vixen & Gas Station Chicken (Groovy American Southern Soul)
- 2:30 Rooted in Southern Illinois (Classic Rock, Blues, Americana)
- 3:00 Justen Cayse (Old School Rock N Roll)
- 4:00 BBQ Awards Presentation by Courtney Williard & Mike Mallory
- Emcee: Courtney Williard
- 4:30 Rooted in Southern Illinois
- 5:00 Rising Life (Arena Rock, Contemporary Christian)
- 6:00 Adam & The H-Bombs (Funk,Blues,Jazz,Classic Rock)
- 7:00 The Melungeons (Southern Illinois Hill Music)
- 8:00 Adam & The H-Bombs
- 8:30 Brass Monkey (Modern Rock & Contemporary Pop)
- 9:30 Adam & The H-Bombs
- 10:00 Feathers, A Celebration of the Black Crowes
Thursday, September 21, 2017
Annual Family Fish Fry
Metropolis Rehab., 2299 Metropolis, St., Metropolis
All friends and family in the community are welcome.
Please call Lori at 618-524-2634 by Monday, Sept. 18th with number attending.
First Christian Church, Metropolis invites you to Sunday Morning Worship Service at Fort Massac Park. across from Sonic Drive-In. Come early for a time to fellowship and stay for worship with a special performance by the a cappella group, Blend.
Blend is able to entertain crowds of all ages with their energy, humor, renditions of songs which most everyone has heard at some time. In addition to their classic doo-wop routine, they love to share their gospel music as well. After this performance, they will be retiring and will no longer be performing as a group. We want to have a big turnout for their final singing appearance.
Invite your family and friends.
Please bring lawn chairs or blanket for seating. Potluck luncheon will follow service. Please bring your favorite covered dish for everyone to enjoy. A love offering will be collected. For information, contact the church at 618-524-7118 or Rhonda at 618-638-2512.
Wednesday-Saturday, September 13-16, 2017
Wednesday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Shroeder Expo Center, 415 Park Ave., Paducah, Ky.
Come and see all the exciting events and beautiful quilts on display at this year’s show. See available workshops on website.
AQS Member: $11.20 Daily, 2-day $20, $25 Multi-day
Non-Member: $14 Daily, 2-day $25, $35 Multi-day
One Show Book is included with admission.
See more than 400 AQS contest quilts vying for more than $121,000 in cash awards including the $20,000 Janome Best of Show.
- Large quilts—Schroeder Expo Center
- Wall quilts—Carroll Convention Center (second floor)
- Special quilt exhibits— Carroll Convention Center (first & second floors), Pavilion and Paducah School of Art & Design
- Tue. Sept. 12: QuiltWeek Contest Premiere, 6-8 PM. Public voting begins to select the Janome Best of Show and other top six awards, Exhibit Areas & Merchant Mall, Schroeder Expo Center & Carroll Convention Center.
- Wed. Sept. 13: Jenny Doan on Center Stage: Quick and Easy Quilting, 7-9 PM. Carson Center.
- Thu. Sept. 14: All-Star Review – 6-8 PM. Eisenhower Room, Carroll Convention Center.
- Fri. Sept. 15: AQS Winners Showcase – 6:30-8 PM. Walker Hall Events Center.
- Sat. Sept. 16: All-Star Review – 1-3 PM. Eisenhower Room, Carroll Convention Center.