Thursday-Saturday, Sept. 28-30, 2017
23rd Annual Barbecue on the River
11 a.m. – 11 p.m.
Downtown Riverfront at Broadway, Paducah, Ky.
Can you think of a better way to spend an early fall weekend than enjoying great BBQ, lively entertainment, exquisite crafts, a charming downtown and a great time with 40,000 of your closest friends?
Come for three days of barbecue as 35 plus BBQ teams from Western Kentucky and beyond cook up over 80,000 pounds of pork and chicken in hopes of taking home the coveted Grand Champions trophy. Along with delicious mouth-watering food and fabulous fun you will be helping out many local charitable organization.
There will also be over 60 market day vendors, United Way 5K Run, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Performance and Photo Opportunity. For schedule of events and music line up, visit website.
Wednesday, Sept. 27
Downtown riverfront, Paducah, Ky.
This is a one-night event to kick off Barbecue on the River with musical entertainment. See listing below. General admission is $10 with reserved seating for $25. There will be a meal and reserved tables for 10 for $500. For more information, call 270-534-5951.
Wednesday, 27th – Porkstock
- 6:00 DJ AJ Martin spinning favorite party hits.
“My Old KY Home” sung by Leight July
- 7:00 Murr Vegas All Stars (Party Rock, Funk, & Soul)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00 John Fuller (Wide Variety of Americana)
- Emcee: Lew Jetton
- 5:00 Rolling River Royalty (Swampgrass Country Rock)
- 6:00 The Wheelhouse Rousters (Old Time River Music)
- 6:30 Chris Black & The Eagles of Unemployment (Rock and Roll)
- 7:30 The Wheelhouse Rousters
- 8:30 The Hooten Hallers (Pre-War Blues to Dark Americana)
- 9:30 The Wheelhouse Rousters
- 10:00 The Wheelers (Smart Post-Punk Rock and Roll)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00-10:00 Leight July (Folky,Americana, with some Blues)
- Emcee: Terry Reeves
- 5:00 The Savage Radley (Delta inspired indie rock)
- 6:30 Miranda Louise, Legendary Sweet Heart of the Blues
- 8:00 Lew Jetton & 61 South (Mississippi River Electric Blues)
- 9:30 The Cruisers ( A Mixture of Modern Pop, Classic Rock, & Blues)
2nd St Beer Garden
- 6:00-10:00 Haleigh Martin (Acoustic Jazzy Country, with a little indie on the side
- Emcee: Mike Mallory
- 11:00 Soul Dog (Mixture of R&B & Soul)
- 12:15 Dusty Bottoms Band (Country,Classic Rock)
- 1:30 Mandy Vixen & Gas Station Chicken (Groovy American Southern Soul)
- 2:30 Rooted in Southern Illinois (Classic Rock, Blues, Americana)
- 3:00 Justen Cayse (Old School Rock N Roll)
- 4:00 BBQ Awards Presentation by Courtney Williard & Mike Mallory
- Emcee: Courtney Williard
- 4:30 Rooted in Southern Illinois
- 5:00 Rising Life (Arena Rock, Contemporary Christian)
- 6:00 Adam & The H-Bombs (Funk,Blues,Jazz,Classic Rock)
- 7:00 The Melungeons (Southern Illinois Hill Music)
- 8:00 Adam & The H-Bombs
- 8:30 Brass Monkey (Modern Rock & Contemporary Pop)
- 9:30 Adam & The H-Bombs
- 10:00 Feathers, A Celebration of the Black Crowes
Metropolis Art Classes
Thursdays, June 8, 15 and 22, 2017
9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Girl Scout House, 1230 E. 7th St., Metropolis
Instructor: Kortney Kennedy
June 8 – Circle Weaving
Students entering 3rd-7th grades will have the opportunity to paint and weave a beautiful piece of art. $12 covers all supplies. Class size is limited, and pre-registration is required.
June 15 – Canvas Painting
Students entering 1st through 7th grades will spend the morning or afternoon painting with acrylic paints on canvas. $12 covers all supplies. Older clothes or an apron is recommended. Class size is limited, and pre-registration is required.
June 22 – Cardboard Construction
Inspired by the viral video of Caine’s Arcade, students entering 3rd through 7th grade will use cardboard and other materials to create interactive games and toys. $12 covers all supplies. Class size is limited, and pre-registration is required.
All class sizes are limited. To pre-register send a message through Metropolis Art Classes Facebook page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday-Monday, Sept. 5-7, 2015
40th Annual Kentucky Western Waterland Arts & Crafts Festival
Little Lake Park, Grand Rivers, Ky.
Original or handmade jewelry, furniture, baskets, quilts, pottery, lace, clothing, belts and wooden decorative items are featured along with stained glass designs, embroidery and paintings by exhibitors from nine different states. Over 100 different artisan and craftsman booths. Food, and live musical entertainment available while you watch artist demonstrations. $1 admission for walk-ins or $3 per car if parking in park’s lot.
This event is held every year on Labor Day weekend. For information, call 800-448-1069. Website
Saturday, May 9, 2015
Fiber and Arts Sale
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Fort Massac, 1308 E. 5th St., Metropolis
Join Southern Illinois Spinners & Weavers at their 7th annual festival. The marketplace will offer unique items from handcrafted textiles, hand-spun yarns, spinning and felting fibers, pottery, plants, and much more. Demonstrations including spinning, weaving, felting, and carding wool will be going on throughout the day. The Fiber and Arts Fair is held in conjunction with the spring re-enactors encampment that features the French and Indian War.
Visit Event Page
Saturday, March 21
Catch the Sun with Melted Bead Suncatchers
Metropolis Library, 317 Metropolis St., Metropolis
Melt various beads into different shapes and sizes to make beautiful suncatchers. Program is free of charge and intended for ages 18 and older. Quantities are limited so reserve your space soon.
Registration required by Thursday, March 19th. To register, stop by the library, or call 618-524-4312 ext. 3. Facebook Page.
Saturday, October 11, 2014
Harvest Tyme Arts & Crafts Festival
10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Washington Park, Metropolis & 3rd streets, Metropolis
The festival is free to the public and will have craft vendors and entertainment of all sorts to welcome the fall season. Live music by The Melungeons from 11 am – 3 pm.
For more information, call Metropolis Tourism at 618-524-5025.
Saturday-Sunday, October 4-5, 2014
4th Annual Fall Gathering: Blue’s Junk & Primitives
Sat. 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sun. 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Beside City Building, 409 Sycamore St., Creal Springs, Il.
Over 75 vendors bringing antiques, primitives, re-purposed and handmade items, and lots of rusty junk. Admission is $1 or a canned good with all collected going to local food pantries.
For more information, call 618-922-1130. Facebook Page